Skip to main content

Lion of Judah


So, our good friend Snoop Dogg has now changed his name to Snoop Lion, and is redirecting his sights on a new reggae album. Odd. Every time someone in the city had been interviewed on what they would like to say to Snoop Lion, the cynical laughter and scoffing begins. Hey, perhaps his “reinvention” is sincere. His visit to Jamaica certainly seems to have revolutionized his way of thinking. One evening, I started laughing about it with my wife, and was struck by an idea I had to get down as soon as possible. I started thinking about the significance of the King of Beasts, the lions in our own lives.

We are all familiar with that great scene from The Lion King, as Mufasa speaks to Simba from the heavens. “Remember who you are. You are my son and the one true king.” This is an improbable spectacle of virtue, pride, and rule. It is almost a display of sovereignty, don’t you think? However, the lion that I actually wanted to talk with you is even greater. Aslan, the Lion of Narnia.

In one of the great lines in C.S. Lewis’s The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, he writes as follows:

 “He'll be coming and going" he had said. "One day you'll see him and another you won't. He doesn't like being tied down--and of course he has other countries to attend to. It's quite all right. He'll often drop in. Only you mustn't press him. He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion.”

Now, I believe there is a very important, and I think somewhat overlooked passage in this story where Peter is allowed to battle the wolf without Aslan’s help. Remember that scene from The Chronicles of Narnia? “Stay your weapons. This is Peter’s fight.” Sparknotes.com explains it like this:

“Peter's fight with the wolf represents a fundamental change for him as well: from child to adult. Aslan could easily have slain the wolf himself, or allowed the other animals to do it, with far less risk to Susan and Peter. Instead, Aslan relies on Peter, who has never wielded a sword before. This appears unnecessarily dangerous, but Aslan's actions are intentional and appropriate. Peter, as the oldest, will be the High King, so it is essential that he fight his own battles and gain experience. Aslan could set him on the throne gently, without Peter ever facing danger, and he might do well, reigning justly and with kindness. But Peter would then be incomplete. To reign properly, Peter must discover the valor and bravery within him. Aslan knew that Peter could kill the wolf, but Peter needed to actually do this to become confident in his own strength and ability. Peter's defining personality traits are his courage, strength, and ability to lead others without misusing his power. Aslan insists that Peter fight for Susan alone because it is this battle that initiates Peter's transformation to adulthood.”

Attributes that must be attained to approach adulthood include bravery, courage and confidence? Tell THAT to our nation today! Lions and lioness are alluded to many times in the Old Testament, symbolic of courage and security. Whatever happened to the mentality of Proverbs 28:1? “The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.” When we call upon our Father to be our Provider or Defender, I do believe he levels the battlefield for us, as Aslan did in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. But He does not intervene when the battle is necessary for us to be complete. We are called to be “not like a tame lion.”

Hail, Hail, Lion of Judah!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!

"Nancy" Grace Affair

To give a synopsis on my morning today, I take a look at Facebook, and I stumble across a source posted by one of my more politically-driven friends. For confidentiality, we will call her Nancy (yes, as in Nancy Reagan). After posting an article for her viewers to read, one of her followers begins to personally attack her politically and personally. We shall call this person Doyle. Doyle gets a response from Yours Truly, telling him that he is a bully and how my wife and I feel sorry for him. His response was that I needed to “grow some thicker skin.” Now, to digress for a second, you may realize that my last post was about being conflicted about seeking justice or finding refuge, and a little bit of bullying thrown into the pot. “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,” Thomas Jefferson stated in his 1781 Notes on the State of Virginia. Time Magazine put it this way: “Jefferson was aware of the dichotomy between his idealistic words and the brutalities of slaver