Skip to main content

The Class and Poise of Pee Wee Reese


I recollect how my peers and I were once asked by a coach in high school who are heroes were. At that particular period in time, I did not allow that question to process in my mind to give an ‘appropriate’ answer. Without a moment’s hesitation, I said, “Joe DiMaggio.” Granted, ‘the Yankee Clipper’ is truly an excellent candidate provided the discussion were centralized on the greatest names in professional baseball. But, being that one student to jump the gun way too early, I received that look in the coach’s eye that said, “Someone just missed the point…”

Fast forward twelve years. There is no doubt that my true heroes consist of my father, grandfather, fellow sailors from my Navy days, the gentleman that baptized me, etc. However, after some thorough research and deep thought, I have found a few heroes from the past that have resonated a special place in my heart.

And, one name that stands above most (other than John Kennedy) is the ’47 Brooklyn Dodgers shortstop, Pee Wee Reese. Harold Henry “Pee Wee” Reese’s story is one that tends to fall through the cracks when we think of the ‘heroes’ in baseball. Yet, to this day, Pee Wee’s class and respect for his teammate, Jackie Robinson, remains unparalleled.  I am sure you remember Jackie’s baseball tale:

“The players on his team who came from the South, men who had been taught to avoid black people since childhood, moved to another table whenever he sat down next to them. Many opposing players were cruel to him, calling him nasty names from their dugouts. A few tried to hurt him with their spiked shoes. Pitchers aimed at his head. And he received threats on his life, both from individuals and from organizations like the Ku Klux Klan…Pee Wee Reese had more to lose than the other players when Jackie joined the team. Jackie had been a shortstop, and everyone thought that Jackie would take Pee Wee’s job. Lesser men might have felt anger toward Jackie, but Pee Wee was different. He told himself, ‘If he’s good enough to take my job, he deserves it.’”

Jackie was, in many ways, a catalyst that later allowed for the black and white camaraderie the Dodgers exhibited for future generations of baseball fans and Pee Wee was a leader from the beginning of the Brooklyn Dodgers ball club that, from the outside looking in, had his back against the wall.

“Pee Wee was a peacemaker, always telling people to take it easy, calm down. He kept things on an even keel.”

The Dodgers made their way to Ohio to play the Cincinnati Reds, which was not far from Pee Wee’s hometown of Louisville. The crowd in Cincinnati was relentless that day, hurling crude, tactless, racial slurs at Jackie Robinson. Disgusted by the disrespect for his teammate, Pee Wee went over to first base, through his arm around his teammate who was enraged with abhorrence, and altered Jackie’s course in professional baseball forever. Rightfully so, a hush finally fell over the capacity crowd. Pee Wee was later quoted, saying, “Jackie Robinson was more than just my teammate. He had a tremendous amount of talent, ability, and dedication. Jackie set a standard for future generations of ball players. He was a winner. Jackie Robinson was also a man.

Perhaps, the best words to describe the mark Pee Wee left behind for remaining generations is stated best on his tombstone: “He eased the acceptance of baseball’s first black player into the Major Leagues”.

-BL

Sources:

Golenbock, Peter. Teammates. (Orlando, FL): Gulliver Books, 1990.

Heiman, Weiner, and Gutman. When the Cheering Stops: Former Major Leaguers Talk About Their Game and Their Lives. (New York, NY): Collier MacMillan, 1990: 107.



 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!

"Nancy" Grace Affair

To give a synopsis on my morning today, I take a look at Facebook, and I stumble across a source posted by one of my more politically-driven friends. For confidentiality, we will call her Nancy (yes, as in Nancy Reagan). After posting an article for her viewers to read, one of her followers begins to personally attack her politically and personally. We shall call this person Doyle. Doyle gets a response from Yours Truly, telling him that he is a bully and how my wife and I feel sorry for him. His response was that I needed to “grow some thicker skin.” Now, to digress for a second, you may realize that my last post was about being conflicted about seeking justice or finding refuge, and a little bit of bullying thrown into the pot. “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,” Thomas Jefferson stated in his 1781 Notes on the State of Virginia. Time Magazine put it this way: “Jefferson was aware of the dichotomy between his idealistic words and the brutalities of slaver