Skip to main content

My Thoughts on "American Sniper"... and My Regards to San Diego

First off, let me just say that the success that the movie American Sniper has had... has brought me tremendous joy on a personal and post-military level. When Chris Kyle was senselessly killed, I felt the only thing I could do as a proud veteran of my country was to immediately buy a new copy of his book, American Sniper. And I did.

I cannot promise you a gemstone in my writing today, nor do I wish to spoil the plot for anyone that has yet to see this film... but I will admit freely the moments that stirred my patriotic emotions the most. There is a scene of a graveside ceremony for a fallen Navy SEAL. I wept. There were gun salutes, Navy dress uniforms and the proper folding of our nation's flag. I wept even more. TAPS was played. I refused to hold back my sobs. The way this depiction of war captures the spirit and realism of brotherhood in our armed forces cannot be denied. There is a scene that resembles BUDS training that our SEALS are to endure, showing these warriors running along the shores of the Pacific. My heart sang with pride and nostalgia.

When there are no words, there are only tears, 'thousand-yard stares', and overwhelming visions and memories for a veteran. 
Sometimes we apologize for not having the ability to adequately explain to a civilian where our brains and hearts are at the moment, but join us sometime for a walk down our Memory Lane in Shambles if you dare...

There are several times I caught myself, not comparing it to but recognizing Chris's line of thinking with that of the character Bob Lee Swagger in the movie, Shooter. When he takes a crucial shot (anyone who has seen the film knows exactly what I'm talking about), I could hear Swagger's analysis of a shot fired from over a mile away: "Everything comes into play: humidity, elevation, temperature, wind, spindrift... even the Coriolos effect and the spin of the Earth." And, as the film portrayed scenes of Chris's final commute in the hearse surrounded by waving American flags, flashing lights of police patrol cars, the Patriot Guard Riders roaring down the highway, my tears were interrupted by another comment made by Swagger when he was asked why he went to help: "They know which buttons to push... you press that Patriot button, and I jump and ask 'Which way you want me to go, boss?'" For me, my response is more of a "Hoo-Rah, Chief!"

One moment I will always appreciate was that no one in the audience got out of their seats during the first credit roll, showing real clips of the precession to Arlington Field. Some could barely breathe. And a big thank you to the filmmakers for not having any music play during the actual credit roll. It was appropriate and respectful.

Later that evening, as I tried to sleep, I found myself stirring and having a missing place deep in my stomach that longed for... oddly enough, San Diego. Even if just for a few minutes... perhaps, a night walk through Ocean View Boulevard, or a ride on the trolley one last time listening to my IPod, or a visit to La Mesa or the Chula Vista area. I came downstairs, pulled out a very familiar CD and inserted it into the DVD player. Two familiar songs filled the air: "Heart of Life" and "Stop This Train" by my favorite solo artist, John Mayer.
Little did I realize all these years that those simple moments of exploring San Diego on my own while listening to the album, Continuum, were small tastes of real joy all along. They were not entirely escapes from the misery of my ship. I was truly happy in those moments. Observing the night sky over the Pacific with the perfect music to encompass the scenery, and never truly knowing the impact it would have five years later. I do not wish to always yearn for and be homesick for the dry side of Naval Base San Diego...but this proud veteran gives his regards.

-Blockhead



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!

"Nancy" Grace Affair

To give a synopsis on my morning today, I take a look at Facebook, and I stumble across a source posted by one of my more politically-driven friends. For confidentiality, we will call her Nancy (yes, as in Nancy Reagan). After posting an article for her viewers to read, one of her followers begins to personally attack her politically and personally. We shall call this person Doyle. Doyle gets a response from Yours Truly, telling him that he is a bully and how my wife and I feel sorry for him. His response was that I needed to “grow some thicker skin.” Now, to digress for a second, you may realize that my last post was about being conflicted about seeking justice or finding refuge, and a little bit of bullying thrown into the pot. “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,” Thomas Jefferson stated in his 1781 Notes on the State of Virginia. Time Magazine put it this way: “Jefferson was aware of the dichotomy between his idealistic words and the brutalities of slaver