Skip to main content

A Renaissance in Patriotism: A Series of Blogs by Blockhead (3)

Sometimes when I visit the library I will break away from my normal Non-Fiction selections and browse through the Graphic Novels section. I have stumbled across many a jewel in those time, and I always enjoy reading them. Yes, it is shocking that Blockhead would choose in this blog to not talk about Charlie Brown and the Peanuts but about a more familiar DC Comics hero: The Dark Knight, Batman.

The example I am using is not from any DC movie, but from a collector’s mini-series entitled The Untold Legend of the Batman. When I was a kid, I had Part 1 and it was certainly one of my favorite cassette tapes of all time. Granted, the theme song is vintage 80’s and a little corny, but it did not occur to me that this story included three parts until much later in life. YouTube can definitely plug the gaps from your childhood if you let it!
The conclusion to Part 3 is a powerful one for me, so allow me to summarize it for you as best as I can…
Bruce Wayne cancels all his appointments for the day as he ponders who is behind the attacks throughout the story. As he stares out the window of his estate, he sees his “mysterious quarry” in the window’s reflection. As Batman returns to Wayne Manor, the memories of his childhood encompass him. As he proceeds further inside, the walls of the Bat-cave begin to close in on him as he finally confronts his adversary: Bruce Wayne himself! As Bruce proceeds to threatens to keep his promise of destroying the Batman, a caped figure dashes to the rescue: Bruce(Batman)’s father in the original bat costume. He explains to the Batman that the warehouse explosion he had recently been in has affected his mind. His father begs Bruce(Batman) to save himself while he holds the walls. Batman dives to save him instead, and both men go sprawling onto the floor safely. The reader discovers that it was Robin in disguise all along. Batman tells him that he needs to be alone, and the last page of the comic reveals Batman on a rooftop overlooking Gotham City with the words below:
“The streets of Gotham City are cold at night, sprayed with shapes and shadows and unexpected sounds—but those who walk these mean streets by twilight do so unafraid, for they can sense the protective presence that watches over them and they know that they are not alone. Every night, without cease, without slumbering, the Batman prowls the streets of the city he loves, the dark avenger, the eternal champion – for the Batman is a legend…and legends can never die.”
--
On July 2nd of this month, the pastor at my church delivered a beautiful service, and in the climax of his sermon, he states the following: “Freedom is not found in what makes you happy, but in submission to God.” Prior to this statement, he had mentioned how before Thomas Jefferson’s penmanship in the Declaration of Independence appeared to Americans that another pamphlet had been introduced by Thomas Paine, which I knew he was referring to Common Sense. Most of us at my church are in Education, so most of us already are very familiar with this famous writing. What is even more fascinating to me about this pamphlet are three things even my pastor may not be aware of:

·       - Common Sense was published January 10th, 1776 (Continental Congress approved the Declaration of Independence in July that same year)
·       - It was originally published anonymously
·       - It was criticized for ungrammatical language and abrasive imagery

Now for Blockhead’s main points to elaborate on:

-How astonishingly writing can change the course of history!

              It would only be six months before America would declare war on Britain after the publication of Common Sense! It went through 25 editions within that year alone, spoke directly to a mass audience and converted thousands of citizens to the cause of American independence.

-Is the person writing the message or the message itself more persuasive to the masses?

              In his book The American Revolution: A History, Professor Gordon S. Wood communicates to the reader that Paine’s pamphlet “was the most incendiary and popular of the entire Revolutionary era…Paine rejected the traditional and stylized forms of persuasion designed for educated gentlemen and reached out for new readers among the artisan – and tavern-centered worlds of the cities…he showed the common people, who in the past had not been involved in politics, that fancy words and Latin quotations no longer mattered as much as honesty and sincerity and natural revelation of feelings.”

-Can Biblical principles and patriotism join forces to really make America great?

Wood goes on to write, “Unlike more genteel writers, Paine did not decorate his pamphlet with Latin quotations and learned references to the literature of Western culture, but instead relied on his readers knowing only the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer.”

In the first chapter of The Untold Legend of the Batman, Bruce says at his parents grave that law enforcement is ‘too often hamstrung by the very laws they’re sworn to uphold.’ Thus, he had to find another way to avenge their deaths: by becoming a symbol, a disguise that strikes terror into the hearts of criminals.

--

Consequently, another antidote to passive and apathetic ‘Merica!

1)     Submission to God brings true happiness.

2)     Reading of Thomas Paine’s Common Sense embodies a true democratic spirit for America.

3)     Legends like the vigilante of Gotham never die, but are never promised the spotlight…and those who wear the symbol of the Patriot and wait in the dark are in need. American citizens today so desperately need “the protective presence that watches over them” …so that they know that they are not alone.



-Blockhead

7/15/17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!

"Nancy" Grace Affair

To give a synopsis on my morning today, I take a look at Facebook, and I stumble across a source posted by one of my more politically-driven friends. For confidentiality, we will call her Nancy (yes, as in Nancy Reagan). After posting an article for her viewers to read, one of her followers begins to personally attack her politically and personally. We shall call this person Doyle. Doyle gets a response from Yours Truly, telling him that he is a bully and how my wife and I feel sorry for him. His response was that I needed to “grow some thicker skin.” Now, to digress for a second, you may realize that my last post was about being conflicted about seeking justice or finding refuge, and a little bit of bullying thrown into the pot. “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,” Thomas Jefferson stated in his 1781 Notes on the State of Virginia. Time Magazine put it this way: “Jefferson was aware of the dichotomy between his idealistic words and the brutalities of slaver