Skip to main content

A Renaissance in Patriotism: A Series of Blogs by Blockhead (2)

The following thoughts are from a few years back, yet they still hold relevance today...

"C.S. Lewis once said, 'We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.' I have had the honor of attending a funeral where I received the best Christmas gift I could have asked for: getting to meet the Patriot Guard Riders and a chance to watch them in action.  There is much honor in the way these men and women conduct themselves for 'a warrior that has crossed over'. It truly is an antithesis to the evil factions in our broken world. Now, in this context, I am referring to the skewed (to say the least) views of a clear dichotomy, the Westboro Baptist Church, but this goes deeper than patriotism and honor for the fallen.
Lately, I have revelled in reading Charles Colson’s final printed work, The Sky is Not Falling (just in case you are unsuspecting, Colson, after surviving his prison sentence following the Watergate scandal, had a change of heart after studying C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity). This book shines the light of truth on where our country has really gone wrong: postmodernism and a “lukewarm” morality. He writes about how since September 11th, the eminent theologian Mike Novak called the current evolving era 'the beginning of the end of postmodern preeminence'. America started coming back to the realization that there is such a device as moral truth, that there is good and evil in this world.
Heroes such as these, the Patriot Guard, are a prescription for America’s malaise.
Our culture today seems to exhibit the erroneous indication that liberty is to be interpreted as not the autonomy from tyrannical, oppressive dictatorships, corrupt governments, etc… but the right to do what we please whenever we please. I think Benjamin Franklin illuminated it in quite a different light: the right to do what is right. 1 John 1:9 articulates it this way: 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.'
Can this precedent of thought equip our American brothers and sisters for a brighter future before it is too late?"

...Fast forward to a church van with five pre-teens inside and a gentleman riding his motorcycle in front of us. A teachable moment if ever there was one! I informed the kids that the gentleman in front of us was a Patriot Guard Rider. He had the leather jacket with the PGR emblem, a decal of the organization on the seat of his motorcycle, and an American flag proudly waving in the wind. I then had to explain as best as I could that they are...the Calvary. After I had the privilege of telling the story of the Patriot Guard, it finally came time for our paths to part. The Hero pulled to the right as he was going to merge onto the opposite highway that we were headed. It was a proud moment for Blockhead when every young man and woman in that van waved to him and thanked him for answering the call.

Thus, Blockhead has to get his 'hands dirty' as the Renaissance continues...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

"Nancy" Grace Affair

To give a synopsis on my morning today, I take a look at Facebook, and I stumble across a source posted by one of my more politically-driven friends. For confidentiality, we will call her Nancy (yes, as in Nancy Reagan). After posting an article for her viewers to read, one of her followers begins to personally attack her politically and personally. We shall call this person Doyle. Doyle gets a response from Yours Truly, telling him that he is a bully and how my wife and I feel sorry for him. His response was that I needed to “grow some thicker skin.” Now, to digress for a second, you may realize that my last post was about being conflicted about seeking justice or finding refuge, and a little bit of bullying thrown into the pot. “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,” Thomas Jefferson stated in his 1781 Notes on the State of Virginia. Time Magazine put it this way: “Jefferson was aware of the dichotomy between his idealistic words and the brutalities of slaver

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!