Skip to main content

Live and Die By the Sword


I do not remember the last time I was so conflicted inside. For the first time since I started blogging, I am not writing because I am full of ideas that correspond, whether they may be in an outlandish or useful way. This time, I am torn in multiple directions, intellectually and spiritually. But one thought comes to mind clearly: It is so easy for us to contextualize what Scripture says, is it not? That being said, I guess that means I will need a Scripture for the basis of this blog, right? Well, I have one. The 21st Century King James Version of Matthew 26:52 reads, “Then said Jesus unto him, ‘Put up again thy sword into his place, for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.’”

One of the main topics in the headlines of the news today is bullying. This morning, I happened to catch a portion of the Today Show with Kathie Lee and Hoda conducting an interview with Kelly Wallace, Chief Correspondent of IVillage and psychologist Jennifer Hartstein. At first, I was not listening, but then as I started to overhear what they were agreeing on, I nearly lost my ever-loving mind! Now, keep in mind, this is coming from the perspective of a man carrying scars from past bullying experiences. I cannot accurately speak for you ladies out there reading this…or, can I? So, just for a minute, go with me on this somewhat elaborate ‘rabbit trail’, will you?

My first memory of confliction, in regards of what to do when standing up to a bully, was in the 3rd grade. I remember this so vividly that it could have easily been yesterday. His name was Christopher Brownlee. He got in my face and landed two blows to my stomach. As I stood there, hunched over and gasping for breath, my mind and my spirit cowered. Oh yeah, I chickened out! I just turned and went to tell my lame excuse for a 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Tapp, what had happened. And yes, I have been quoted telling my wife that in regards to grade school 1-12, I did not have a good teacher until 4th grade (Judy Fletcher, if you ever read this, I am not referring to Kindergarten at all. That is a whole different world J) Anyways, the second bully came along in 5th grade, and this time he had a ‘gang’ with him. People actually wanted to join his pitiful chorus of cronies that made him that much more ‘intimidating’. So, to tally it up, that was TWICE before middle school that I felt like a whipped pup. “If he hits you, hit back!” “No, tell a teacher.” “You are not allowed to start fights!” “Tough talk is just that…talk.” All of these thoughts and demands from external stimuli ran through my head and wrapped around my heart like a python night and day, until one day, another kid pushed me to the limit on the playground after I had found out that he had embarrassed one of my friends and ran his mouth to me. I snapped and shoved him to the ground with all my power. He got up and walked off…and I felt fantastic!! Justice, in my mind, had been served!!

The problem was the satisfaction wore off, especially with fresh wounds I accrued in junior high. They diminished around high school, but the wounds were still there. Now, it is nearly two decades later, and I love me some good fighting movies. Classics, such as The Outsiders and Escape from Alcatraz, are among some of my favorites. There are more recent movies such as Deuces Wild and Green Street Hooligans that I just enjoy. Does this mean I am going to practice what I watch on television or these films? Of course not! Will I apologize for watching them and being entertained? No. Do I believe bullying someone is just? Absolutely not! Do I believe that someone needs to take a stand and say, “Enough!”? Of course, I do. Should kids live in fear as they walk the halls of our schools? The thought disgusts me. Does this interview I heard today, with four women saying, “Violence is NEVER the answer,” make me want to go irate? Yes, indeed! But,…

Do I believe, as Dave Ramsey said on his radio show the day after Osama Bin Laden was killed, “There is only one answer to a bully: bloody his nose,”?... This is where I am feeling conflicted inside. I just don’t know. And I think I desperately need some insight from those wiser than I and I need to explore the Bible even deeper. Earlier, I did find this excerpt from the Bible Gateway Blog in regards to 9/11:

“The Bible contains many stories of injustice, tragedy, and suffering inflicted on God’s people. The afflicted people respond with all the emotions we would expect: anger, disbelief, fear, indignation, and even doubt in God’s sovereignty. These are the same emotions that flood through our minds even today, ten years after the event, as we remember watching those twin towers fall. But time and time again, the Bible writers remind themselves—and us—that God is in control, and that our most important spiritual response to tragedy is to look to God’s endless love and incomprehensible faithfulness:

 I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. (Lamentations 3:20-23, NLT)

 To turn your face to God in the aftermath of tragedy is to defy the power of evil, and to place your hope in the one Person who can bring good out of even the most horrifying disaster.”

I was reading a chapter today in Shane Claiborne’s The Irresistible Revolution called “Pledging Allegiance when Kingdoms Collide”, and in the text he quotes Tony Campolo saying, “We may live in the best Babylon in the world, but it is still Babylon, and we are called to ‘come out of her’.” Claiborne asks one of his kids about how he feels about 9/11. His response: “Well, those people did something very evil…But…’two wrongs don’t make a right’. It doesn’t make sense for us to hurt them back. Besides, we are all one big family.” *sigh* Even my favorite President to read and study about, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, started to rethink his cold-warrior tactics towards the Soviet Union in his address to the American University in Washington, D.C. on June 10th, 1963: “…our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's futures. And we are all mortal.”

                My wife and I watched a disturbing commercial in the movie theatre the other day of this little girl reacting to her doll in a parallel fashion of an abusive parent, yelling at the doll and threatening to “…give you something to cry about if you don’t stop!” This commercial will destroy anyone’s heart, I believe.

                …Whew! Now that you have taken the rabbit trail with me (or perhaps, seen ‘how deep the rabbit hole goes’)…

                 I hope you can see how torn, muddled and disputed I am inside, friends. And I hope that you will leave some of your thoughts to help me with battling this epidemic of… My Goodness! Taking a stand or turning the other cheek? Do we practice allegiance or restraint? Do we show justice or mercy? Is it all situational? Are we just making the text of the Bible ‘fit into our own agenda’?

                Also, I would hope that all of you would take the time to first go to the links I have posted below to summarize it for yourself, to do your own thinking:


                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeyAsOH41Ww

                And, on that note, the floor is yours, friends.

~B

               




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!

"Nancy" Grace Affair

To give a synopsis on my morning today, I take a look at Facebook, and I stumble across a source posted by one of my more politically-driven friends. For confidentiality, we will call her Nancy (yes, as in Nancy Reagan). After posting an article for her viewers to read, one of her followers begins to personally attack her politically and personally. We shall call this person Doyle. Doyle gets a response from Yours Truly, telling him that he is a bully and how my wife and I feel sorry for him. His response was that I needed to “grow some thicker skin.” Now, to digress for a second, you may realize that my last post was about being conflicted about seeking justice or finding refuge, and a little bit of bullying thrown into the pot. “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,” Thomas Jefferson stated in his 1781 Notes on the State of Virginia. Time Magazine put it this way: “Jefferson was aware of the dichotomy between his idealistic words and the brutalities of slaver