Skip to main content

Team Hoppy and the Runnin' Free Ranch





Yesterday, Blockhead had the privilege of unwrapping an early birthday present: the t-shirt seen below...


Image may contain: 1 person, smiling


I proudly wore the shirt all day. Mr. Hopgood was a great man that I had the privilege to have short conversations with here and there throughout my childhood. His daughter, Pamela, and I went to school together from elementary through high school. Of all the good memories I could share about this man, I will share only one today for the "blogging-sphere" to read about...

Mr. Hopgood and his sweet wife were attending a Navarro College softball game that I was in attendance for, and both were sitting in lawn chairs right behind home plate behind the fence. What I distinctly remember about Mr. Hopgood is this: his etiquette and true sportsmanship as a fan watching the game. Pamela was pitching, and my other high school/Navarro friend Haley (who was always VERY athletic) went to bat a few times that day.

Not only would I hear Mr. Hopgood cheering Pamela, Haley, and the other lady Bulldogs, but he also shouted encouragement to the opposing team.

Friends, how rare is that? How often do you hear, "Well done, #35!" or "Shake it off, #88!"...and not in a condescending, distasteful manner?

This is just ONE example of how good a man Mr. Hopgood was. Not only will I be participating in this year's Relay for Life to honor sweet little Tatum's memory, but Blockhead will be proudly wearing this shirt and walking tall for #TeamHoppy.

...Many changes for the good have happened in my life this year. Not only have I had the opportunity to walk my first Relay for Life as mentioned above and being able to attend Daniel Springs Summer Camp with the junior youth of my church (changing my life and my faith walk forever), but thanks to 'iron sharpening iron' and finally admitting that this Navy veteran is tired of dwelling in the darkness of piercing memories of my ship, the military hierarchy that used intimidation and fear to run their divisions, and just simply allowing the words of people from my past to have mastery over my own inner peace...

Blockhead discovered this very special place set apart that helps others with the same struggles that I face called the Runnin' Free Ranch. Admittingly, I scoffed somewhat when the idea was first presented to me. "What do horses have to do with my dark thoughts?" "What could this possibly teach me?" "I don't ride horses! That was a 'vacation' thing with my parents as a kid." Reluctantly, I visited the ranch with my pastor and began to "feel it out" inside the pit. Immediately, an emotional connection was made between me and the 6 1/2 year old, Sevin:

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature


Unfortunately, the very next day, my sweet little Bella's suffering had to end as we allowed the gentle hands of the vet to send her to meet our Creator. As I sat in the car waiting for my wife, wailing and flooding the passenger side with my tears, I pulled out my phone and called Mrs. Amy. "Mrs. Amy, I am in a bad place. Can I please come by and see Sevin? I'm sorry to insist, but I need it so badly."

She gladly allowed 30 minutes with him. As I entered the pit, Sevin immediately sensed from my demeanor that something was wrong. He trotted slowly over to me  and nudged me with his muzzle in an attempt to comfort me. Never had I imagined that our new friendship could ease my pain like it did that day.

Image may contain: one or more people, horse and outdoor



Not long after a few sessions out at the ranch, a phone call was made by the commander of the local Veterans of Foreign Wars to get in touch with me to sponsor my sessions. What a blessing!

I attended my first VFW meeting, presented pictures of my interactions with Sevin at the ranch and how these sessions have allowed me peace of mind, polished my relational skills and allowed me to let go of control and the mastery of others' hurtful words in my life. Shortly after, a vote was made and a generous donation was made right then and there for other veterans to be sponsored! My eyes welled up with tears of gratitude and amazement, and I praised the VFW for their amazing generosity.

...Well, as the quote from the Wonder Years goes: "And there ya had it." As a grateful new VFW member, a sponsored Runnin' Free Ranch attendee, and a proud new associate of Team Hoppy, I can only say that the ride has been fun thus far, and I will keep you, the reader, in the loop as time carries on.

Two last things: do your Christmas online shopping through this link for Amazon and 5% automatically will go towards the good work going on everyday at the Runnin' Free Ranch:

https://smile.amazon.com/ch/47-4615353

Also, the website can be reached through this link: http://www.runninfreeranch.org

Blockhead, Mrs. Amy, Mr. DJ and future Veterans that go out to the ranch will sincerely appreciate you, friends!

And, with the Holiday season here, TicketHot.com offers so many seasonal tickets for you to choose from! Purchase your tickets now through my link for Radio City's Christmas Spectacular show, A Charlie Brown Christmas

Just use this link: http://bit.ly/2yMe1vF

New Customer Offer - 10% off all New Customer Purchases! This offer is valid now through 12/31/2017 with code TH10OFF.
Offer valid: 11/3/17 - 12/31/17

Enjoy and have a great Thanksgiving, readers!

-YFB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

A Renaissance in Patriotism: A Series of Blogs by Blockhead (1)

As of today, I have decided to start my first ‘series’ of blogs, whereas there is much to be said.  After posting an earlier blog, a good friend and excellent writer reached out to me in the comments section (see previous blog history to see her words verbatim). Allow me to highlight some of her words that stood out to me the most at this time: “Freedom and honor and patriotism stand on the brink of oblivion. Only those with the fortitude to defend it can drag it back…” I appreciate her thanking me for “standing in the gap and keeping the darkness at bay”, but I also appreciate you readers who will join us in this journey. The author of War and Peace Leo Tolstoy’s diary entry December 1900 reads as follows: “To be able to affect others, an artist has to be an explorer, and his work of art has to be a quest. If he has discovered everything, knows everything, and is just preaching or entertaining, he makes no effect. Only if he keeps searching, then the viewer, or listener, o