Skip to main content

The Voice of Reason and the Voice of Men

Blockhead is going to go ahead and get his affiliate plugs out there early because I have a lot I wish to write about today. Hang in there with me, readers! First and fore most…

Blockhead wants to save you some cash this New Year. I promise! Instead of several daily trips to Starbucks (often referred to as Five Bucks), why not consider your own fresh brew at home that looks more like 25 cents a cup? Then consider Koa Coffee from the Koa Coffee Plantation in Hawaii, “where every bean is picked by hand, harvesting only when the beans are cherry red, and no mechanical harvesting that would mix in bitter green beans so that every roast is sure the have the taste of Aloha spot on, every time. Koa Coffee has always been dedicated to offering the finest Kona Coffee experience, while also sharing the beauty and Aloha of the Hawaiian Islands. 100% pure Kona Coffee from the Kona Coffee Belt is distinguishable from all other coffees by its unique island microclimate.The most beautiful flowers are grown on the side of volcanoes, and the climate of Hawaii makes for the perfect cup of coffee! “The end result is an extraordinary coffee, delicate yet with a rich flavor and aroma. There is no comparison between hand-picked Kona and other, mass produced coffee beans that are harvested by machine. Bright sunny mornings, cloud-covered rainy afternoons and mild nights in the Hawaiian Islands create an ideal growing condition for the Kona coffees trees to mature slowly and flourish. These trees thrive in fertile volcanic soil and natural shade provided by avocado, mango and macadamia nut trees. When you drink a cup of Kona coffee, you are drinking an exclusive coffee that comprises only 1% of all the coffee grown in the world that Forbes has called, ‘The Best in America’”. Aloha and Mahalo from Koa Coffee and YFB. Follow the link below the get yours today:


On Wednesday, the family and I went and saw The Man Who Invented Christmas in theaters. It was refreshing to see the creative process for “A Christmas Carol” through the eyes of Charles Dickens in an enjoyable documentary-like production like this. As I watched, some parts really hit me between the eyes as a ‘right-brainer’. At one point, Dickens’ wife makes the remark that these characters at times meant more to him than his own flesh and blood…

Maybe those of you that have your ‘creative outlets’ have had this conversation with your spouse. Or it is on the tip of his or her tongue. And the minute their concerns are proclaimed, it unintentionally pierces your heart. As a part-time podcaster and blogger, these words stung like lemon juice in a papercut. Yet, it was revitalizing to grasp that great minds that have come before any of us have had the same uncomfortable banter.

Charles Dickens had to be reminded of where his priorities should lie. Abigail Adams saw the cruelties of slavery and how the colonists’ fight for independence was disingenuous in a way. She reminded John Adams often to avoid neglecting those in bondage, and to not forget the ladies behind the stage of the American Revolution. And YFB has had to come to this same realization: my creativity is not to be suppressed, but never to replace those most important in my life. My wife and family should be first and fore most, and should be welcomed into my struggles to be successful.

Now, on to another struggle that has been bothering me…

I read an article on NPR that had steam shooting out of my ears! If you wish to read it, I am posting it below:


Here is my predicament: Emotion for a man when there is reason is acceptable.

And this article embarrasses me for many reasons…

1.     The author and all of the studies in this article are conducted ENTIRELY by women, with the exception of one male psychiatrist alongside another female conducting the study. *** Women: this is not to say your opinions are invalid, but a study related to males’ struggles with masculinity and emotion, there is not a balance. No interviews with men, few quotes from men involved, etc.***

2.     When the questions were asked on Twitter, who responded? Moms! 

Quick thought: Does anybody remember in the movie Joyful Noise, when the son Walter with Asperger’s gets involved in the fight and the comment is made, “He feels like a man for once!” To which the mom retorts, “That’s not how I want my son to feel like a man!” Again, suppressing the male ‘fight or flight’ inner and outer struggle, and no male objection anywhere…

Does anyone remember the 2012 Presidential election when Missouri Congressman Todd Akin made this comment about abortions not being necessary for rape victims? “If it’s legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down,”. Okay… ahem! This blog is not in any way discussing the topic of abortion or rape, but do any of you ladies sincerely appreciate a male politician talking about your bodies and how they function? And I remember the backlash he had to endure for this. But, we men just sit idly by as intolerance of masculinity continues to keep us stuck in the middle?

3.     Further softening and feminizing from female sociologists, psychologists, etc. is not going to lead to more success from men. We need MORE men outside of the Christian realm willing to talk about it. Examples such as Craig Groeschel in his book Fight, and John Eldredge’s book Wild At Heart should be on the lips of more men in our culture.

Men need to start teaching young men the simple lesson that life is not fair and it is a cold, mean place just as Rocky explained to his son in the movie, Rocky Balboa. Help these little boys gather up what is known as a clue early on instead of a continuation every day in our schools of boys throwing a temper tantrum then going to a female teacher and letting them reach up into that woman’s hypothalamus and squeeze as much oxytocin as they can muster up because we know that females usually have higher levels of this stuff than us males. Let us men watch a UFC fight and not shush our enthusiasm. Allow a dosage of John Wayne back into the veins of America once more before it is too late...

…whew! Thanks for letting me vent. Hope the buzz for a manly Renaissance catches on! Those of you that want to have some fun this New Year’s Eve, the t-shirt you wear to the party might just break the ice all evening. You know you want a Vandelay Industries or Kra-merica Industries t-shirt (referring to Seinfeld), or possible The Dude Abides (referring to The Big Lebowski)…well then, check out my New Year’s link for Five Finger Tees! Through my link, you can get 10% off the entire online store by using the code: newyeartees. The sale ends January 3rd, so you have time before New Year’s to get you shirts! Enjoy the website below:


Thank you readers, and Happy New Year!


-YFB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

A Renaissance in Patriotism: A Series of Blogs by Blockhead (1)

As of today, I have decided to start my first ‘series’ of blogs, whereas there is much to be said.  After posting an earlier blog, a good friend and excellent writer reached out to me in the comments section (see previous blog history to see her words verbatim). Allow me to highlight some of her words that stood out to me the most at this time: “Freedom and honor and patriotism stand on the brink of oblivion. Only those with the fortitude to defend it can drag it back…” I appreciate her thanking me for “standing in the gap and keeping the darkness at bay”, but I also appreciate you readers who will join us in this journey. The author of War and Peace Leo Tolstoy’s diary entry December 1900 reads as follows: “To be able to affect others, an artist has to be an explorer, and his work of art has to be a quest. If he has discovered everything, knows everything, and is just preaching or entertaining, he makes no effect. Only if he keeps searching, then the viewer, or listener, o