Skip to main content

Ode to Voting

For the longest time, I have not been able to explain why I feel so strongly about voting. Well, I happened to stumble upon this old blog that Kidd Kraddick wrote on his MySpace. And the best part was, this was written during my tour in the Navy. This concept, this influence of voting in our American culture is not new, friends! So, this is what Kidd says about it...

October 23, 2006We all say we support the troops. Many of us have had the yellow ribbons on our cars. Some of us have even been involved in sending care packages to our troops. On November 7th, we're going to see who really does and who really doesn't support the troops. I think the single most disrespectful thing I could do to our 140 thousand soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan is to not vote on November 7th. We have sent them to another country, far from their families, to sacrifice their lives so that a democracy can be formed in a place that has never had one. So the people will be free to govern themselves and have free elections. How will it look to those soldiers when less than half of us bother to vote in our country. How important is freedom and democracy to us, really? How much do we really support the troops? 

I'll let other people tell you which side to vote for and why. All I'm saying is to vote...Take the time and effort to learn about who's running, pick the ones you want and VOTE. Let's not make excuses this time...let's break records with our turnout. Let's show the rest of the world that we practice what we preach.

See you at the polls!

Kidd


There it is! I don't exercise any political party. I only want you to participate in your freedom! I often do not have time to sit and listen to a bunch of party soundbites. It does not impress me. But, We the People, must participate in this, for the sake of our heroes on the frontline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those Who Can, Become Blockheads

Decided I had better blog about this as soon as possible before someone out there snatches it up! Yeah, I know. It's been awhile since Blockhead wrote a blog. Perhaps, not all of you have left me high and dry. This tired teacher will attempt to write more in the future. This evening, I was having a conversation with a friend I network with on occasion and share topics with back and forth in the podcasting world, and... Well, he inspired me. So here goes nothing... I plan on writing my first book, allowing the reader to draw back the curtain on my personal experiences in teaching and life, simultaneously assisting you and anyone who gets their hands on the book with lessons that can help you avoid the same heartache or possibly polish your own story with. Either way, my hope is that it all can be beneficial to you. I will gladly teach you some essential "in"s and "out"s if you are wanting to do any of the following: join the Navy or any branch of

"Nancy" Grace Affair

To give a synopsis on my morning today, I take a look at Facebook, and I stumble across a source posted by one of my more politically-driven friends. For confidentiality, we will call her Nancy (yes, as in Nancy Reagan). After posting an article for her viewers to read, one of her followers begins to personally attack her politically and personally. We shall call this person Doyle. Doyle gets a response from Yours Truly, telling him that he is a bully and how my wife and I feel sorry for him. His response was that I needed to “grow some thicker skin.” Now, to digress for a second, you may realize that my last post was about being conflicted about seeking justice or finding refuge, and a little bit of bullying thrown into the pot. “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,” Thomas Jefferson stated in his 1781 Notes on the State of Virginia. Time Magazine put it this way: “Jefferson was aware of the dichotomy between his idealistic words and the brutalities of slaver

A Blockhead's Library

After visiting Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller's websites for a couple of years: www.daveramsey.com www.48days.com ...if you happen to look in either the Resources or Library section of these two pages, you will see a visual array of books that these men have enjoyed, recommended or even required for their team to read. Since leaving the Navy, I am overwhelmed by how many books I have read, thanks to their influencing me to expand my library. So, for fun, I have finally put together MY personal library for you to browse through. If you wish to do the same on your blog, I will truly enjoy seeing what books you guys recommend, as well. Oh, one more thing. I am challenging you to be COMPLETELY HONEST. Put up books that you have completed, not purchased. Have fun browsing and I look forward to seeing YOUR recommendations, fellow bloggers! Btw, I have broken them down into categories as best I can, and have also included a small list at the bottom that I feel are MUST-reads. Enjoy!